Re: Contents of v$SQLArea.....

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 08:13:02 +0000 (UTC)

Looking at the v$sqlarea is an expensive and aggressive operation. It is an aggregate view of the library cache, and hammers the library cache latches every time you do it.

There are two scenarios for getting a
'continuous display' of v$sqlarea.

  1. You can afford to do it. This means you don't need to do it because you have so little work going on it's irrelevant
  2. Your system is very busy. This means you can't afford to do it. If the system is busy and you have (cheaper) indications that the library cache may be causing problems then you could take a few snapshots of v$sql to dig a little deeper.
--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated May 1st