A performance reason to split up index data files.

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 2 Jun 2004 09:56:05 -0700

Kind of interesting non-bug:

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=BUG&p_id=3484607

I wonder how much of this is due to inode locking (as Tanel, I think, described in a thread a while ago - Oracle trying to get segments all in the same file hitting itself in the nose), and how much is due to O coding that assumes non-interfering physical devices for a parallel architecture. I don't think the I/O contention explanation is correct, wouldn't the max wait be longer? Inode locking on the other hand would result in more retries. (I'm assuming there is a typo in the second "Index creation with multiple data files" that should have said "single data file.")

Moral: Don't expect miracles from SAME. Don't even expect Oracle code to work with it rationally.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Everyone wants to be Cary Grant.  Even I want to be Cary Grant." -