TNS-01152: All addresses specified for the listener name, LISTENER, failed

From: Steve N. <steven_nospam_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: 2 Jun 2004 07:02:20 -0700

steven_nospam_at_yahoo.ca (Steve N.) wrote in message news:<a7f2ae7e.0406011231.2ca2d4e0_at_posting.google.com>...
> Has anyone seen this error message before when trying to start the
> Oracle Listener on the local system?
>
> TNS-01152: All addresses specified for the listener name, LISTENER,
> failed

We have resolved the issue. Here is what we found out:

The listener.log had no additional information in it. The log simply indicated the trace level, the parameter and log file paths, then gave the same error above.

At trace level 16, the listener.trc was analyzed. It gave the same info as the log file, except with a hex dump instead.

We compared a working system's listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files with the ones on the affected system and the only difference we noted was that the person who edited the file had not used the same spacing as we used on the working system.

This was the working SID_LIST entry:

(SID_LIST =
 (SID_DESC =

  (GLOBAL_DBNAME = orion)
  (ORACLE_HOME = /apps/oracle/app/oracle/product/8.1.6)
  (SID_NAME = l01)

)

This was the one that was not working (note the = sign spacing)

(SID_LIST =
 (SID_DESC =

  (GLOBAL_DBNAME= orion)
  (ORACLE_HOME= /apps/oracle/app/oracle/product/8.1.6)
  (SID_NAME= l01)

)

When we correctly placed a space in front of the equals signs, the TNS error disappeared.

Thanks to all who gave suggestions.

Steve Received on Wed Jun 02 2004 - 09:02:20 CDT