Re: OMLETv4 The Ultimate Visual Real Time Oracle Monitoring Tool

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 12:10:04 +1000

"Martin Burbridge" <pobox002_at_bebub.com> wrote in message [snip]

> Well that's not surprising as ask tom is a wealth of valuable
> technical information, and I can believe that you get nothing like
> that with your product. From others posts on the matter it would
> appear the application's reliance on discredited ratios means the
> product is mostly pointless. I'm just concerned that it might be
> dangerous also.
>
> --
> Martin Burbridge

I'll just chip and say that I am in 100% agreement. Cursor_sharing=force would be an absolute nightmare in a data warehouse or any database that accesses skewed data on a regular basis, where the need to know the literal is paramount. Not sure I'd say that it was only useful for apps. with bugs, but if you mean by that 'poorly coded apps', I'll agree with that too. For any 'performance monitoring/tuning' tool to suggest making changes to that parameter in the installation guide without at least 5 pages of discussion on the matter is just plain stupid and, yes, dangerous.

To then back off and say, 'Oh well, it's not actually needed' is disingenuous to boot.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Jun 01 2004 - 21:10:04 CDT