Re: database market share 2003

From: Data Goob <datagoob_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 19:49:39 -0400

"Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message news:91884734.0406011500.5222aad7_at_posting.google.com...
> "Data Goob" <datagoob_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<pT2uc.541$Oi.400_at_fe44.usenetserver.com>...
> > The problem is Oracles' distributed lock manager.
> >
> > Take note, the DLM conzept actually came from IBM, and interestingly
> > enough, Ingres for Linux will be using it. Look at who is pushing
> > the DLM, it's OpenDLM from IBM!
> >
> > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1599317,00.asp
> > http://oss.software.ibm.com/dlm/
>
> Did you read this? It clearly states the DLM concept is modelled
> after the VAX version. What it doesn't say is that Rdb was the reason
> for that, and Oracle improved upon it. Later, Oracle bought Rdb, with
> all of it's attendent intellectual property. Link doesn't seem to
> have been updated since 9/11/01...

Yes I read it, very confusing documentation.

> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/opendlm
> > http://opendlm.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Oracle came about, if we look at history, from Larry seizing the dbms
> > opportunity that IBM did not. So, it could be said that Oracle is a
> > delta of DB2 on the mainframe, in its own incantation, pushed into UNIX.
>
> Which is about as accurate as saying X windows are a delta of Windows
> 3.1.

Isn't it? :-)

I was being liberal in my comments, but I do recall Oracle taking off on opportunities that IBM didn't even see. Bill Gates took advantage of a windowed environment that **could** have been modeled after a windowing environment at Xerox Park, which ran under X. So...