Oracle Disk Configuration question.

From: bc9am <bc9am_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:18:33 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to understand what the best disk configuration is for an Oracle server I am trying to build. Currently the server is spec'ed to have 4 disks. In my mind that gives me two choices. Either two sets of RAID 1, or a big RAID 5 array. It's a high availability server so I can't afford downtime due to a dead disk.

After a bit of research I have understood that you are supposed to put all your core database (table?) files (and any random access stuff [inc OS files?]) on one disk, and sequential stuff on their own disks (e.g. logs). I obviously don't have enough disks to put all sequential files on their own disks. So, with this in mind I guess logic suggests putting them all on one disk. However this seems a bit silly as then its just random access (?) - so I might as well have a RAID 5 array for the whole lot?

Obviously with this particular configuration cost is an issue, so performance isn't the number one priority.

Can anyone comment on any of the above or point me in the right direction of a good resource talking about the options available (I seem to just come across resources that are either just wrong, or only say the 100% right way to do it with no flexibility for cost saving - I can't afford a 10+ physical disk solution).

Are there any generic examples of how to partition for Oracle in a Linux environment?

Thanks. Received on Tue Jun 01 2004 - 16:18:33 CDT