Re: database market share 2003

From: Captain Pedantic <theharlequin36_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 19:44:54 +0100

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:40bb409a$0$3032$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> Serge Rielau allegedly said,on my timestamp of 31/05/2004 5:34 AM:
>
> > Unfortunately I don't have the Gartner report (The summary used to be
> > free :-(, But an interesting number to look at may be tracking the
> > Windows share.
> > IBM Entered that market with DB2 V5 I believe. The Unix market was
> > entered with the prior release.
> > For being the last one entering the game I think DB2 has been doing
> > quite nicely :-)
>
> Have they stopped counting all AS400 sites
> as "DB2 sites" yet?

Well, no, most assuredly they *haven't* stopped. Which rather makes the whole debate a complete waste of breath, doesn't it? If wishing were reality, IBM would have all Informix users moved or moving by now.
But in fact, even the biggest die-hard is hard-pushed to name even a handful.
That university in Carolina, or was it California, featured on the IBM website ... is that the only one?

But in the best traditions of the ostrich, IBM management can't see the truth on this matter. Received on Mon May 31 2004 - 13:44:54 CDT