Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 30 May 2004 22:09:09 -0500

On Mon, 31 May 2004, hjr_at_dizwell.com wrote:

> You and Galen happen to have decided amongst yourselves, in
> that scratch-and-match way you described in another part of the
> thread, that "free" means "costing nothing", and nothing
> else. As we discovered elsewhere in the thread, you did much
> the same for the word "sell".

Well, I'm just trying to explain what I know the free software society defines as free. To the regular Joe, say the word free and it means no money passed hands, so that is how the word has morphed, but "free software" has in its contract, the "GNU General Public License" and in that document, there is very little about money, and all about making sure the code stays "free" of software patents.

I know the market uses the term "free software", but they are almost always talking about open-source software.

--
Galen Boyer