Re: database market share 2003

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 17:14:54 -0700

Jean-David Beyer wrote:

> Daniel Morgan wrote (in part):
>

>> So I'll try the statement again ... I ... that means mean personally, in
>> 35 years in this industry ... seen DB2 on Windows in any organization
>> that didn't have DB2 also on another IBM platform such as a mainframe
>> or AS400.
>>
>> I can not be wrong about my personal experience.
>>

> Could it be that people smart enough to select DB2 are smart enough to > select an OS other than Windows? ;-)

I would certainly hope so. That was certainly my experience when I worked with DB2. Yet somewhere back a few days ago in this thead someone was trying to make the case for DB2's great success on the Windows platform. Why I can't imagine. Putting DB2, or for that matter Oracle, Informix, or Sybase on Windows to me means that you don't need to be up 7x24 and accept the fact that the machine will be down frequently for patching and virus fighting (caveat: unless you are one of those people that believes firewalls are fool proof).

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu