Re: database market share 2003

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 17:02:29 -0700

Mark A wrote:

>>I've yet to run into a single instance of DB2 on Windows ... or for
>>that matter DB2 on non-IBM hardware. Do they exist? Of course. But
>>they are few and far between. And almost all in companies that have
>>DB2 on an IBM platform already.
>>--
>>Daniel Morgan

> This is complete nonsense. Unless you consider all IBM compatible PC servers
> to be IBM's (which of course is not the case).
>
> DB2 UNIX runs on HP/UX and Sun Solaris. Many large companies run on these
> two non-IBM hardware platforms. I personally have used DB2 on Solaris quite
> a few time.

You can't call the fact that I, personally, have never run into DB2 on Windows nonsense. And you sure can't dig your way out of it by making reference to HP and Sun hardware unless you are somehow equating Solaris with a Microsoft product.

So I'll try the statement again ... I ... that means mean personally, in 35 years in this industry ... seen DB2 on Windows in any organization that didn't have DB2 also on another IBM platform such as a mainframe or AS400.

I can not be wrong about my personal experience.

If you wish to prove that my personal experience is somehow skewed and not representative of the database market as a whole ... then here's how you can do it.

Publish official numbers showing the number of DB2 licenses, on MS Windows, that are in companies that are not also using DB2 on mainframes or AS400. Simple.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu