OMLETv4 The Ultimate Visual Real Time Oracle Monitoring Tool

From: omlet v4 <amjadd_at_uop.edu.jo>
Date: 30 May 2004 08:12:43 -0700

D Rolfe <dwrolfeFRUITBAT_at_orindasoft.com> wrote in message news:<qr2uc.846$Z14.944_at_news.indigo.ie>...
> > Ed,
> >
> > I doubt you know anything about cursor_sharing or access plans.
> > Anyhow, your second point about TNSNAMES clears your level of
> > expertise. The software is open source and anything you don't like you
> > can change. I doubt you know anything about SQLNET to claim your first
> > point either.
> >

> What is about people who try and sell their software with SPAM? This is
> the second one in a row who starts questioning the competance of anyone
> who dares question their 'ultimate' or 'brilliant' work. Don't these
> people have *any* social skills?
>
> > What if you don't have tnsnames.ora file, then you cannot connect with
> > jdbc. OMLET is 100% java and does not access your machine registry. If
> > you know other ways, please share!?
> >

> Have you ever heard of the thin driver?

What do you think I am using!? In fact we rewrote the whole library to support threads. Try to have 2 threads go through the Oracle provided driver and see what happens?! OMLET uses 48 thread accessing the database through a thread pool.

> > Why copy tnsnames.ora? simply so you would not have to give OMLET any
> > permissions to your Oracle installation directory or network
> > subdirectory. Actually you can place the file anywhere since there is
> > a FileChooser that you can use to browse.
> >

> The whole point of TNSNAMES.ORA is that you don't have that many of them.

OMLET doesn not require you to.

> > You cannot see 1024X768? then you probably have more problems and I am
> > truely sorry for you. Java2D with antialiasing features are best at
> > this resolution.
> > Compare OMLET to Quest Spotlight and you would see the difference!
> >

> Most people over 40 have a problem with high screen resolutions. I
> gather you don't think 40 year olds have money to spend.....

narrow sighted; closed minded -- I guess "a pair of glasses - free with
their free spam+eggs=omlet" to go! sounds like good marketing!

> > Anyway, most DBA's who use scripts, usually hurt their database;
> > cursor sharing reduces overhead when accessing v$sysstat and
> > v$filestat which most tuning script queries select from. I doubt you
> > had any idea about this! do you? I thought so.
> >

> Yet another attempt to hurl abuse at the world in general. Have you
> finised insulting everyone yet?

Hey you don't like to force cursor sharing then use similar or exact. It is a matter of overhead.

> > Compare OMLET overhead to any other monitoing software including OEM
> > and you would be shocked! Did I forget to mention I am a ex-Oracle
> > kernel/Server Technology employee!?
> >

> Apparently not...
>
> Half of the readers of this newsgroup must have worked for Larry at some
> time. Merely having worked for Oracle does not make you worthy of respect.

very very few enjoyed my level of access. I spent more than 5 years answering ORA600 errors on metalink and other forums. Trust me writing an interactive Oracle monitoring tool has been very rewarding.

> > Finally, the geocities issue. Actually providing something for free is
> > a huge liability. The site bandwidth is constantly consumed. Tell me
> > about a reliable
> > connection with unlimited bandwidth and you got my bussiness. Actually
> > you can
> > mirror the OMLET product if you have the space and bandwidth.
> >

> If your product isn't worth the US$100/mth for entry level hosting then
> it isn't worth anything at all.

You would spend US$1000/mnth for your web site and you would get ZERO pagerank
on GOOGLE. We started on geocities with OMLET 0.1 in 1996 and all the links are to the geocities web site.

Google pagerank is what matters; check yours!

> Maybe I should propose the modestly named "Rolfe's Law":
>
> Nothing Marketed With Spam Is Worth Owning.
>
> :)

Actually Spam is essential to every worthy OMLET!!!!