Re: database market share 2003

From: Larry <Larry_at_nospam.net>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 03:24:27 GMT

Daniel,

This reminds me of the 80s when client/server and distributed computing first came in to vogue. The big headline was that the mainframe was a dinosaur and would soon be replaced by distributed systems. I'm still waiting. And I think the same thing holds for Linux. It is certainly appropriate for certain applications. But its got a ways to go before it matures. And even then, I somehow don't think that a Linux system built with the hw that you quote will ever be running you bank accounts, your credit cards, and making reservations for you on airlines. Most, if not all, of these type of applications require the RAS of the mainframe ... and I don't see a day real soon when they won't.

Larry Edelstein