Re: Anyone ever seen this kind of behavior

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 11:03:57 -0700

Jay wrote:

> Hi, I just installed the 10.1.0.2 upon linux, when I drop a table, it
> doesn't get dropped instead the name gets changed to gobbledy goop
>
> oracle_at_platinum:~$ sqlplus jay/jay
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production on Mon May 31 12:27:47 2004
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved.
>

> Connected to:
> Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production
> With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options
>
> SQL> select table_name from user_tables;
>
> no rows selected
>
> SQL> create table test (col1 date);
>
> Table created.
>
> SQL> select table_name from user_tables;
>
> TABLE_NAME
> ------------------------------
> TEST
>
> SQL> drop table test;
>
> Table dropped.
>
> SQL> select table_name from user_tables;
>
> TABLE_NAME
> ------------------------------
> BIN$27vDSF2p+IXgMKjATgUFSw==$0

Good grief man ... don't you read documentation? That behavior has been advertised and promoted heavily by Oracle as one of the new and outstanding features of 10g.

For more information on it go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and look up "RECYCLEBIN" and "FLASHBACK".

I have had demos of this on my PSOUG web site for almost 4 months.

http://www.psoug.org/reference/tables.html
http://www.psoug.org/reference/recyclebin.html
http://www.psoug.org/reference/tab_flashback.html
--