Re: fragmentation issues

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 20:44:03 +1000

Howard J. Rogers allegedly said,on 29/05/2004 7:30 PM:

> But you can't use the word "chunks". LOBS have already snagged those. As
> have chocolate bars.

Narh. LOBs are later than my use of the word so I have primacy. :) I'm not sure where I got it from but IIRC, it was in mainframes where it meant contiguous sectors of disk.

Mind you, the term "contiguous" itself is highly dubious nowadays: Two areas of disk may appear contiguous to a tablespace in Oracle, be totally non-contiguous at file system level and yet for all intents and purposes be contiguous when it comes to the physical disk after the LVM is done with it! No wonder newbies get confused... ¦Þ

>>(DBA_CHUNKS is new to me?)

> Because it doesn't exist. I was speculating what view we'd have to have if
> we let you have your nomenclature.

Got it: DBA_LOB_CHUNKS?
<d&r>

--