Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 15:01:03 +1000

Galen Boyer allegedly said,on 29/05/2004 2:47 AM:

> I'm not talking about this situation.

Well, I was. And I hope it was clear that was the case. What I don't see is why the subject has to be argued outside of what I put forward.

> Probably alot cheaper than buying the software and then paying
> for support, probably by a substantial amount.

There is an entire body of history of IT, starting around 1982 and ending in 1991 or thereabouts, that say it isn't. That is why this industry moved away from delivering source code.

> I can't believe you are saying this Noons. Linux is very very
> good.

I can't believe you are putting a judgment of value against a fact. I NEVER said that Linux was NOT very, very good. That is immaterial. Would you for ONCE try to read what I said and understand it for what it is instead of putting a spin on it that was never there?

> I don't get it. Apache, Linux, JBoss, ... Enterprise solutions
> that are open-source. You are wrong in what you are saying here.

"Enterprise solutions"? Since when a web server, an OS and a committee are considered "enterprise solutions"?

Define "solution" please, because it is certainly COMPLETELY different from what I call an "application"!

An end-user solution is NOT an OS, a web server, an appserver or a database! An end-user solution is an application. I don't give a rat's arse what is behind it,free or expensive or whatever.

I'm mr customer, with a cheque book. You are selling me an application. Does it do what I want without costing me the all my savings? Is it solid and will it last me the expected lifetime of the investment? Yes or no? I couldn't care LESS how you wrote it, what is that crap you call "source code", what does it use behind the scenes.

DOES IT DO THE JOB I ASKED IT TO DO OR NOT? Period. And that is preciously it. All this "free ware is inherently better because..." rubbish is totally immaterial.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto