Re: Init.ora Parameters & Memory

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 28 May 2004 15:58:15 -0700

"Mill" <mill.h_at_ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<Eaitc.29$%31.1_at_newsfe1-win>...
> >Well, either that's a typo, or you've got serious problems. You have 1GB
> for
> > a shared pool. And only 1200 buffers in the buffer cache (assuming, for a
> > moment a 32K db_block_size, that would be a paltry 38MB).
>
> Hi
>
> Thanks for your comments, I am afraid that is not a typo, I have inherited
> the system
> from a so called DBA.

Howard has given an absolutely correct response, be sure and follow his advice.

I hope when you get all this together you will post what ultimately worked best for your situation.

But I'm going to post some numbers from out of my hat, and am just curious how close they are to what you wind up with.

db_block_buffers = 80000
shared_pool_size = 235929600
large_pool_size = 10000000
log_buffer = 1572864
sort_area_size = 262144

Here is a link to some scripts. Note that they assume you understand what they are looking at, and some can be very misleading out of context. Some are just plain wrong. But they are useful and educational: http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=131418.1

If you don't have metalink and OTN accounts, get them!

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.slayage.tv/conference/