Question: How can one tell others how to connect to its Oracle database

From: lev <pelekhl_at_msn.com>
Date: 28 May 2004 12:23:45 -0700

Hello,

Here's the scenario. I am a Windows service. I use an Oracle database via ODBC. I want to tell others how to connect to my Oracle database from other machines. All I know is ODBC DSN that I use to connect to Oracle.

I am a part of a commercial software package. My owners are free to use whatever name resolution scheme they fancy. Thus this ODBC DSN can contain a local name, a name resolved by a naming service, or a full connection string.

Trouble is local names. They are useless to anyone but me. How do I turn this local name it into something that others can use? Parse tsnnames.ora? Moreover how can I tell if it's local name? May be it's a name resolved centrally?

Any ideas are highly appreciated.

Lev. Received on Fri May 28 2004 - 14:23:45 CDT