Re: 2GB limit for SGAs

From: Stephan Bressler <sbresslerx_no_spam_at_arcor.de>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 09:10:10 +0200

Hi,

comments inline.

Stephan
> Could you show us the output of
>
> ipcs -b (if multiple instances running, let us know)
> sysdef | grep -i shm
> pmap -x <pmon pid> | grep shmid
> nm $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle | grep sgabeg
Hi,
no, the test DB is gone. But whether there is 1 or more shm segments is up to the setting of SHMMAX kernel parameter. If this is higher than the size of the sga, oracle uses 1 shm segment, otherwise more. Multiple segments are no problem (in my experience) at all, at most a little bit ugly.

> Do you see any warning or error in alert.log? I'd like to see if the
> SGA is split into multiple segments.

There are no errors / warning in the logs.

 >Can you do this on older version
 > Oracle such as 8i? Thanks.
Sorry, no. But I'm sure the behaviour of oracle is the same since the old oracle 7 versions.

Stephan Received on Fri May 28 2004 - 02:10:10 CDT