Re: "instead of select" trigger

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 23:37:33 -0700

Serge Rielau wrote:

> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>

>> Christian "Raistlin" Gulich wrote:
>>
>>> "dnh" <nogood_at_using.this.addr.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>>> I have to pass parameters to the procedures, depending to the current
>>> query.
>>> If it isn't possible, to get the querieng sql statement in a view to
>>> pass it
>>> to the procedures, views are not  a solution for me.
>>>
>>> Christian
>>

>> It is often better to ask questions than to make statements that may
>> or may not be true.
>>
>> You can pass parameters to view created with functions and also by
>> using DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO. There is a demo showing this at:
>> http://www.psoug.org/reference/dbms_applic_info.html
>>
>> In 10g you can, in fact, write the equivalent of an INSTEAD OF
>> trigger for a select ... check out the ADDM.
>>

> Where I studied using any form of global variables beyond what is
> considered "stable environment setup" was frowned upon :-)
> I doubt the intent of the application info is to set up parameters for
> views. A table function is a lot better vehicle because it describes
> what it depends on in a clear fashion which I consider good coding style.
> One thing for example that I doubt works is to use application info to
> pass values from the outer of a join to the inner which is a view.
> A table function can act as a "correlated, parameterized view" in a
> clean way.
>
> Cheers
> Serge

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Can you provide me with a translation for this sentence? "pass values from the outer of a join to the inner which is a view"

I've you doubt you know what you intended but I must confess I don't.

Thanks.

With respect to your statement:
"any form of global variables beyond what is considered "stable environment setup" was frowned upon"
Why?

When I read that all I can think of is ps -ef | grep .... and why is one different from the other?

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu