Re: verifying number of free extents

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 15:58:07 +1000

"yls177" <yls177_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c06e4d68.0405272114.5bc35034_at_posting.google.com...
> size of one extent is 2097,080 kb
> 3 extents will have 6291240
>
> never used blocks = 112510,block size is 8kb, therefore in kb is
> 4817024
>
> hence, if add 3 more extents, the tablespace will overflow.
>

> however, the above analysis is based that there are no big enough free
> contiguous space in used blocks for the size of one extent, if there
> is, then this could change the situation right?

Well, it could if you don't do your space management properly. Since at least version 7, Oracle has been trying to say to DBAs, over and over again: please only use one extent size per tablespace. In 8.0 they invented the MINIMUM EXTENT clause to make it happen. In 8i, they invented the uniform-sized locally managed tablespace to guarantee to make it happen.

If you had followed that advice, then the question of there being 'no big enough free contiguous space' would never arise. All chunks of free space would be extent-sized, and therefore the problem would disappear.

It's difficuly to comment further without knowing your Oracle version, though.

> and hence
> i get the value for " never used blocks" which guarantee that they are
> contiguous

I can't say whether that guarantees anything, because I don't know where you got that number from. Care to elaborate?

Regards
HJR Received on Fri May 28 2004 - 00:58:07 CDT