Re: 2GB limit for SGAs

From: Tony Dare <tonydare_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 03:44:45 -0700

Chloe -

The SGA limit for 32 bit Oracle 8i is 3.75 GB. You can alter the size by resetting the sgabeg value (the starting attach address) in ksms.s and regenerating the ksms.o file. You can see how to do this in Metalink note 1028623.6. You might want to be careful since the 4GB limit for 32-bit processes is still there. You may starve out attempted connections to the database.

All in all, if you can afford it, it's better to go with the 64-bit version of 8i since the effective size limit of the SGA is about 15GB.

oops, wait - 8i is to be desupported December 31 this year...

Hope that helps.

TD