Re: File needs media recovery after recovery :(

From: André Hartmann <andrehartmann_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 22:36:23 +0200

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:40b63e35$0$1583$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...

> "André Hartmann" <andrehartmann_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there,
> >
> > yesterday I had a media failure on one of my data files (Win2000,
Ora9i,
> > Archivelog mode) and after recovery (with catalog) up to a certain
> archived
> > log rman tells me the corresponding table space cant go back online
> because
> > it needs media recovery
> >
> > run {
> > allocate channel Kanal1 type disk format

'G:\OracleServer\oradata\webhost3\backup\WEBHOST3_78FMJTQ2_1_1.ORACLE.BACKUP
> > ';
> > set until sequence 8575 thread 1;
> > recover datafile "E:\ORACLESERVER\ORADATA\WEBHOST3\BUGEN.ORA";
> > sql 'alter tablespace "BUGEN" online';
> > }
> >
> > gives me:
> >
> > RMAN> run {
> > 2> allocate channel Kanal1 type disk format
> > 'G:\OracleServer\oradata\webhost3\ba
> > ckup\WEBHOST3_78FMJTQ2_1_1.ORACLE.BACKUP';
> > 3> set until sequence 8575 thread 1;
> > 4>recover datafile "E:\ORACLESERVER\ORADATA\WEBHOST3\BUGEN.ORA";
> > 5> sql 'alter tablespace "BUGEN" online';
> > 6> }
> > 7>
> > Zugewiesener Kanal: Kanal1
> > Kanal Kanal1: SID=80 Gerõtetyp=DISK
> >
> > Befehl wird ausgef³hrt: SET until clause
> >
> > Starten recover um 27.05.04
> >
> > Starte Wiederherstellung des Datentrõgers
> > Wiederherstellung des Datentrõgers beendet
> >
> > Beendet recover um 27.05.04
> >
> > SQL-Anweisung: alter tablespace "BUGEN" online
> > Freigegebener Kanal: Kanal1
> > RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
> > RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
> > RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
> > RMAN-03009: failure of sql command on default channel at 05/27/2004
> 18:11:33
> > RMAN-11003: failure during parse/execution of SQL statement: alter
> > tablespace "B
> > UGEN" online
> > ORA-01113: F³r Datei '12' ist Datentrõger-Recovery notwendig
> > ORA-01110: Datendatei 12: 'E:\ORACLESERVER\ORADATA\WEBHOST3\BUGEN.ORA'
> >
> > Recovery Manager abgeschlossen.
> >
> > Any idea why ? I was expecting the tablespace to be online after the
> > recovery.
> >
> > PS: I have to apply "set until" because later archived logs are lost
> because
> > a backup got lost.
>
> If you are doing a 'set until', you are doing an INcomplete recovery. And
in
> incomplete recoveries, you must restore database; and recover database;,
not
> individual data files.
>
> What are the things which cause us to need to do incomplete recovery?
>
> a) User error (delete from important_table;...commit;)
> b) Loss of all members of the current redo log
> c) A complete recovery can't be completed because of the loss of some
> required archive logs

The most recent backup is lost and thats why I canot retrieve the archived logs in that backup. So I am trying to recover to the next-to-last backup which is available. I have already restored my data file BUGEN.ora but rman fails to recover it as you can see because it wants the "lost" archived logs. I would be okay with that if only Oracle stopped telling me "data file needs media recovery" when i just recovered it (up to a satisfactory point of time in the past).

what can i do ?