Re: Logging user-activity

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 20:36:31 +1000

"kodo" <inbox_at_kodo.me.uk> wrote in message news:2hlrv2FeqirkU2_at_uni-berlin.de...
> Hello,
>
> we're running an oracle 9i DB on a unix-system.
> I wonder if it's possible to log all statements a peticular user
> executes. I know it's possible to log "all" activity but I'd be just
> interested in what some users do.
>
> What's the easiest way to do that?

Do you really mean "all" statements? And if so, to what level of detail?

You can audit a user easily enough: see
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96540/statements_48a.htm#2059984 (watch for wrapping, but as a for-example: audit select on emp by access;). So you could audit access to particular objects by a user (that example would audit *any* access to emp, by all users, but you just select the entries you want out of sys.aud$), though that only audits generally: you won't see the precise selects or updates that Scott does on the EMP table, merely that he did some selecting or updating.

If you want specifics, then for DML, you've got Log Miner which shows you the precise SQL statements issued by whom and when.

And for select statements, you have fine-grained auditing.

There are other options too (such as triggers, perhaps). It depends really on *why* you want to do this, and precisely what results you want to capture, under what circumstances, and to what level of detail.

Regards
HJR