Re: Archive logs in control file

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 May 2004 01:02:29 -0700

joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message news:<91884734.0405261517.3b5a406e_at_posting.google.com>...
> "G Dahler" <yellow-shark_at_spamex.com> wrote in message news:<1b2tc.29113$sr3.805608_at_news20.bellglobal.com>...
> > "Chloe Crowder" <chloe.crowder_at_bl.uk> a écrit dans le message de
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > in Oracle 817 is there a mechanism for clearing the list of archive
> > > log files held in the control file. We interrupted the log archive
> > > mechanism on a production server and restarted later, but this means
> > > there are several thousand useless log files listed. Also in a test
> > > server where were trying out backup/recovery scenarios we've got
> > > duplicate files listed - presumably from where we've reset logs after
> > > partial recovery.
>
> If you are using RMAN, you might want to do something like
> connect target
> allocate channel for maintenance type disk;
> sql "alter system archive log current";
> change archivelog all crosscheck;
> crosscheck backup;
> delete expired backup;
> release channel;
>
> If you are not using a catalog, see
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76990/recocat.htm#435991
>
> If you are using a catalog, you might explain your question better.
>
> If you are looking in v$archived_log, say so.
>

> > IIRC, the liste or archived log files is not in the controlfile and
> > automatically "purges" itself after 30 days or so...
> >
> > But I may be wrong
>
> See RMAN nocatalog.
>
> jg

I think you are mistaken. The change .. crosscheck command deals with files that have been backed up. Even if you use RMAN and delete your archivelogs from disk, they will NOT be removed from the controlfile. The OP really shouldn't bother (looking at her other problems)

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu May 27 2004 - 03:02:29 CDT