Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 26 May 2004 17:15:33 -0700

Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:<40b48b37$0$8987$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Quirk wrote:
>

> > Only vendors of free software face different factors.
>
> Can someone explain to me how does
> "free software" get sold by its "vendors"?
>
> Jeez...
> Boy, am I glad I'm too busy to waste time on this one...

Aw come on, Noons, you should know the difference between free as in free speech and free as in free beer!

Free software means [somewhat] free[er] of intellectual property restrictions.

http://archive.salon.com/21st/feature/1997/11/cov_20feature.html

Gosh, someone could write a whole operating system with stuff like that! And then someone could package it up all pretty like and sell it! Then commercial database vendors could put their stuff on top of that! And application vendors could add some value too!

Naw, it would never work, never mind...

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.