Re: Init.ora Parameters & Memory

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 07:10:25 +1000

"Mill" <mill.h_at_ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:Tv3tc.278$oy6.3_at_newsfe2-gui.server.ntli.net...
> Hi
>
> I am running a Oracle 8.1.7.4 database on W2k Adv Server with 2gb Ram,
> we are planning to upgrade the RAM to 8gb, i understand i will need to
> adjust the db_block_buffers & shared_pool_size in the init.ora to utilise
> the new memory and make a larger SGA.
>
> My parameters are as follows for these settings.
>
> db_block_buffers = 1200
> shared_pool_size = 1000000000

Well, either that's a typo, or you've got serious problems. You have 1GB for a shared pool. And only 1200 buffers in the buffer cache (assuming, for a moment a 32K db_block_size, that would be a paltry 38MB).

In the first place, the *total* SGA should not be more than about 50% of your physically-available RAM. So with only 2GB of RAM, your setting for the shared pool is already wrong.

In the second, that is a suspiciously-small buffer cache.

Never mind that there are about 250 other parameters to be set which you haven't mentioned at all!

So, what I'm going to suggest is that you save yourself a bit of cash, and stop buying extra RAM for this box. Instead, spend some of that money on some books or do some research on the 'Net, and work out how to make proper use of the 2GB you've already got. That you will end up needing more than 2GB is not entirely out of the realm of possibilities, but it would make you a very, very unusual database indeed.

> Can someone recommend new settings for these given the fact that
> i am adding new memory to the server, my main concern is to correctly
> configure these so i don't get excessive paging and swapping, I WOULD
> appreciate it will need tweaking after i have run the system for awhile
> and monitored things

Tweaking isn't the word I would use to describe what you have to do!

Find out all about statspack, and start from there. Until you do that, you have precisely zero basis on which to assess whether your current settings are sensible, or what they would need to be changed to if you did actually waste your money and buy the RAM.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed May 26 2004 - 16:10:25 CDT