Re: Init.ora Parameters & Memory

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 12:49:01 -0500

On Wed, 26 May 2004 16:20:30 +0100, "Mill" <mill.h_at_ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I am running a Oracle 8.1.7.4 database on W2k Adv Server with 2gb Ram,
>we are planning to upgrade the RAM to 8gb, i understand i will need to
>adjust the db_block_buffers & shared_pool_size in the init.ora to utilise
>the new memory and make a larger SGA.
>
>My parameters are as follows for these settings.
>
>db_block_buffers = 1200
>shared_pool_size = 1000000000
>

>Can someone recommend new settings for these given the fact that
>i am adding new memory to the server, my main concern is to correctly
>configure these so i don't get excessive paging and swapping, I WOULD
>appreciate it will need tweaking after i have run the system for awhile
>and monitored things
>
>Your comments greatly Appreciate
>
>Mill.

What performance metrics are you seeing that indicated that either of these (or any other) should be increased? What are your top 5 wait events? While there are no rules of thumb, and compareing one db to an unknown other is fraught with danger, your shared_pool_size is already 5 times bigger than my largest one. I could easily be wrong, but given the question and lack of additional information, I smell hardware being thrown at an undiagnosed problem. Received on Wed May 26 2004 - 12:49:01 CDT