Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Quirk <quirk_at_syntac.net>
Date: 26 May 2004 03:12:09 -0700

joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message news:<91884734.0405251444.7134d28d_at_posting.google.com>...

> > If you DO need the new features, then upgrade. If you don't, stay
> > where you are. In what way does having the entire source
> > code for everything and the kitchen sink help you there?

> Well, I'm not sure that I said that it did. Regardless, there are too
> many variables to make a simple if-then-else. It boils down to a
> strategic vision, and commercial operations with a static vision die.
> Even the case of the "most likely to be ok as a mature product" -
> accounting systems - need to be updated. Most other applications need
> to adapt and grow with business, or die. Government? The most
> bizarre mix of leading and trailing edge imaginable. Niemec told an
> anecdote that he offered to upgrade a ridiculously old application
> (Oracle V4, I think he said) for _free_ and they wouldn't go for it.
> Would you want to be the new guy maintaining that?

All good points Joel.

And, of course, possibly the most important point: where are they going to get security updates for that Oracle V4 server?

Also, how will they recompile their Oracle V4 for their new server, with a new CPU and a different OS from the last one?

I suppose by 'Stay where you are' he means that your system should only run as long as the existing hardware does.

Regards,
Dmytri. Received on Wed May 26 2004 - 05:12:09 CDT