Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Quirk <quirk_at_syntac.net>
Date: 26 May 2004 01:46:15 -0700

Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote in message news:<upt8scybg.fsf_at_standardandpoors.com>...

> On 25 May 2004, quirk_at_syntac.net wrote:

> > When and if you need to migrate your application to another DB,
> > presumably you have chosen db 2 based on your requirements and
> > have already decided on a solution to whatever problem you are
> > facing, having your code issolated means fewer code
> > changes. Again, this holds true for migration, it also holds
> > true for simply making better use (i.e. new features) of the
> > platform you are currently using.

> I fail to understand how this has anything to do with whether you
> use open-source, free or commercial software, but it seems to be
> the main impetus to your arguments.

I made four suggestions in my original post in this thread. One regarding source, one regarding abstraction, one regarding human readable archives, and one regarding network security trumping database security.

Each is complimentary to the others, but not dependant on any of the others.

My main impetus is the preservation of the application and it's data. Received on Wed May 26 2004 - 03:46:15 CDT