Oracle 10g Server on Windows XP Pro

From: Ian Smith <ian.smith_at_irascian.com>
Date: 25 May 2004 15:36:44 -0700

I have done two installs on Windows XP Pro now and find that Oracle works fine until a PC reboot and then any attempts to use EM give the error: "The database status is currently unavailable. It is possible that the database is in mount or nomount state. Click 'Startup' to obtain the current status and open the database. If the database cannot be opened, click 'Perform Recovery' to perform an appropriate recovery operation."

When installing the software I can happily connect to the database and use it via web browser and http://localhost:5500/em

After a reboot the same command gives a "DNS or Server error". Checking "Services" using Control Panel the "OracleDBConsolenccf" (I called my database nccf not orcl) is not started where it had been on install and where "Automatic" has been specified as the service start-up mode. Manually starting the service seems to work and then the http://localhost:5500/em gives the error shown above about the database status being unavailable.

If you click "Perform recovery" the damned thing wants not just the SYSDBA password but also an "OS Host user name and password". I don't use a password as this is a single user-version of XP. The dialogue just keeps spitting "Invalid password" at me when I attempt any sort of recovery because it seems to object to the "OS Host password" field being left blank.

Having completely uninstalled Oracle 10g twice now and hit the same problem after the first reboot I'm stuck. My machine has slowed to a crawl too where it was fine with Oracle 9i. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be? I can't believe I'm the only one who's hit this "issue"! Received on Tue May 25 2004 - 17:36:44 CDT