Re: logon as sysdba -- insufficient privileges ?!?!?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 06:54:04 +1000

"Ed Stevens" <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:sr67b01jgqegi3r6ov5pmgbovoqf3fjrv4_at_4ax.com...
> Platform: Oracle 8.1.7 SE on Win2k Server
>
> Here's a new one on me. Creating a new db on a new box. Old hat,
> ought to be a piece of cake. Except this is our first server built to
> use Windows Terminal Services instead of PC-Anywhere.
>
> The install ran fine (after adjusting for the P-4 bug) and after
> referencing the work-arounds listed in MetaLink Bulletin 77627.1 I
> was able to get a listener up and running.
>
> So now I've got a listener, time to create a db. ORADIM seemed to
> work ok, gave me a db service -- OracleServiceNLCP -- and a password
> file. Next I tried to test my connection before running a 'create
> database' script. As almost expected with Terminal Services, it
> failed with a ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
>

> So, again suspecting Terminal Services as a culprit, I went back to
> the machine room and sat down at the server console to try again.
> This time I got:
>
> C:\>set oracle_sid=nlcp
>
> C:\>sqlplus /nolog
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Tue May 25 14:12:57 2004
>
> (c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> SQL> connect / as sysdba
> ERROR:
> ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
>

> SQL>
>
> Yes, the server has a local group called ORA_DBA, and my domain
> network account is a member of that group. Here's the oradim command
> I used to create the service and the password file:
>
> d:\oracle\ora81\bin\oradim -NEW -SID NLCP -INTPWD nlcp -startmode AUTO
> -pfile e:\oradmin\nlcp\initnlcp.ora

First, I know Windows isn't case sensitive like certain other, er, well-known operating systems, but it is slack to create services called NLCP, and then set ORACLE_SID (which as an environment variable itself ought to be in upper case, too) to 'nlcp'. One day, you may do work on a box that *is* case sensitive, so you might as well get into the good habits now.

After that, we are in diagnostics mode, since on Windows the case certainly shouldn't be an issue. And the first one to ask is: how confident are you that the server you are asking to 'parse' your domain account is actually connected to the domain and can see the domain controller and can actually do the 'parsing'?

As a test, I would add 'Everyone' or 'Domain Users' to the ORA_DBA group and see how far you get. If you get past the 'insufficient privileges' message, you know it's got something to do with authenticating your domain account. And since you are using O/S authentication, make sure remote_login_passwordfile in the init.ora is set to NONE whilst you're at it. Although 'exclusive' or 'shared' will still work in an O/S authentication environment once the database has been created, it's best to be 'clean' on the matter at database creation time.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue May 25 2004 - 15:54:04 CDT