Re: cached cursor - eliminatnig soft parses

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 15:09:09 -0500

On Mon, 24 May 2004 15:43:07 GMT, "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net> wrote:

>"Ed Stevens" <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message
>> I am preparing a series of presentations for our developers, to give
>> them some 'best practices.' The first of these is based on Tom Kyte's
>> demonstation of the impact of using (or not using!) bind variables. I
>> have the demo and presentation put together, but there are some areas
>> where I anticipate questions for which I don't quite have the depth of
>> understanding to provide adequate answers.
>>
>> Of particular concern is the discussion of avoiding soft parses by
>> using cursor caching. Think I understand the principles, and of
>> course have Kyte's example in PL/SQL. However most of our projects
>> are being coded in either VB or Java (and one in Micro Focus COBOL),
>> so I'd like to be able to provide at least some code samples, if not
>> live demos, in those languages. To complicated things further, while
>> COBOL is my first language and I am reasonably facile in VB, I don't
>> know squat about Java.
>>

>Better method (and Tom does talk about this) is to open the cursor 1 time
>and keep reusing it. So you have a parse, a bind (bind variables, and an
>execute. Then rebind (respecify the bind variables) and execute again.
>Then you don't have to parse the statement, not even a soft parse. Very
>scalabe and high performance.
>Jim

Yes, that is exactly what I'm after and what I was referrnig to. The discussion and example is on pg. 440. And he goes on to say "I know that PL/SQL will cache my cursor for me . . ." So what I need is examples of how to achieve the same thing with VB, Java, and Pro*Cobol. Received on Tue May 25 2004 - 15:09:09 CDT