Re: 10g ASM is junk ...

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 15:47:33 GMT

On 25 May 2004 04:46:05 -0700, cheslyn_at_yahoo.com (Cheslyn) wrote:

>ASM has other features as well other than Just data mirroring
>
> - Load balancing in parallel across disk drives
> to prevent hot spots and maximize performance,
> with rapidly changing data usage patterns.

Striping usually does this. However, Oracle claims to be a bit 'smarter' about it. However, not sure if Oracle will try to move things around, as your 'hot' blocks change from night to day (e.g. batch vs. regular operation). IMHO, it'll take a while for an algorithm to replace human business knowledge and 'common sense'

> - Online disk space reorganization for the incremental addition
> or removal of storage capacity, No need to have
> a database downtime for this

Veritas can do this, but it'll take some time, and it costs extra. Some disk arrays allow online reorg as well.

> - Reduced number of objects to manage
> (via disk groups)

That would certainly be an advantage via Veritas. But personally, I like control I get from Veritas over allocating data, once you understand all the layers of VxVM.

> - ASM also overcomes file system size limitations.
> since no file system is involved.

Most file systems can now accomodate fairly large databases, but this could be an advantage for some.

We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Tue May 25 2004 - 10:47:33 CDT