Re: Metalink Problems

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: 24 May 2004 10:53:40 -0400

On 2004-04-23, Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote:
> On 22 Apr 2004 16:39:03 -0400, JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet> wrote:

>>> Waaaay off topic, but as a mostly un-employed musician, I beg to
>>> differ . . .
>>
>>Are you trying to live off of residuals from 30 year old music?
>>
>>Otherwise, my comments are irrelevant to you.
>
> So as long as I am not directly and personally impacted, then I
> shouldn't be concerned about what's happening to my colleagues? Then
> neither should I care about offshore outsourcing as long as *I* have
> *my* job.

That doesn't alter the fact that you are essentially defending those that attempt to profit from labor carried out before much of the current labor pool was even born.

> The "original facts of the situation" are that any time anyone demands
> that any product or service be provided for free, there is zero
> incentive for those who are able to provide that product or service.
> The assertion that *anyone* has a *right* to free *any* product or
> service is absurd.

That is why a LIMITED monopoly is granted for artists, inventors and authors who are too crass to to be creative otherwise.

> Or to paraphrase . . .
>
> The public has a right to free software and support. It's part of the

That is not a paraphrase. That is a clear distortion on your part.

> bargain that was originally made with programmers, DBA's, and
> software publishers. It's time that the debate was shifted to reflect
> that. Bill Gates and Larry Ellison are distracting us from the
> original facts of the situation.
>
> Do you give away your DBA services? Or are you only concerned about
> continuing income from code you wrote 30 years ago?

Turning the clock back 200 years would require no such thing actually.

Also, don't worry. Disney is quite capable of making it difficult or illegal to preserve anyone else's works without your help.