cached cursor - eliminatnig soft parses

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 09:27:21 -0500

I am preparing a series of presentations for our developers, to give them some 'best practices.' The first of these is based on Tom Kyte's demonstation of the impact of using (or not using!) bind variables. I have the demo and presentation put together, but there are some areas where I anticipate questions for which I don't quite have the depth of understanding to provide adequate answers.

Of particular concern is the discussion of avoiding soft parses by using cursor caching. Think I understand the principles, and of course have Kyte's example in PL/SQL. However most of our projects are being coded in either VB or Java (and one in Micro Focus COBOL), so I'd like to be able to provide at least some code samples, if not live demos, in those languages. To complicated things further, while COBOL is my first language and I am reasonably facile in VB, I don't know squat about Java. Received on Mon May 24 2004 - 09:27:21 CDT