Re: how much space do I need for a linux redhat Oracle install

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 05:32:13 +1000

"Ryan" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote in message news:oe2sc.42785$Lm3.30303_at_lakeread04...
> I got howard rogers document on how to install oracle on redhat. I have an
> 80GB HD at home and 60GB of it is filled with windows XP stuff. How big of
> redhat partition do I need to install Oracle for Linux? Do I need a large
> swap partition?
>
> Not a linux guy. I just have a couple of books and what I read about dual
> booting on the internet. This is just for playing around at home.

The Linux install itself can be anything in the 1.5GB - 2.0GB range. You do indeed need a decent swap partition, and the Linux install if left to its own devices will do a reasonable job for you, unless you are short on physical RAM (less than 512MB is not a good idea, though do-able), in which case it will under-do things automatically. Allow 1GB for swap, and make it so if the automatic partitioning of the installer doesn't do it for you. The Oracle install on top of that lot varies, but not much. The Enterprise Edition is 2.04GB. The Standard Edition is 1.96GB. For an extra .08GB, install the Enterprise Edition.

And then you will want to create a database or two, for which you may want to allow say 1GB a piece. More if you want to start practicing archiving, and doing stuff with BLOBs etc. You may want maybe three databases available to you (1 working one, 1 other working one to test thinks like database links, 1 repository database for OEM, RMAN etc).

So, I make that 2GB+1GB+2.04GB+1GB+1GB+1GB. I make that 8GB, and your 20GB partition is thus going to be fine.

I wouldn't try and fine-tune it down to 8GB, however. If you've 20GB to spare, give the lot to Linux. Otherwise you may well find yourself running out of space just when things are starting to get interesting!

Have fun,
HJR Received on Sun May 23 2004 - 14:32:13 CDT