Re: Oracle and Arcserve

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 22:13:17 +0800

Joel Garry wrote:

> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<40abfed7$0$3035$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> > Joel Garry wrote:

> > > Have to totally disagree.
> >
> > With what? I didn't say "no AV". I said "no continuous AV, but periodic
> > manual scans".
> >
> > I don't know whether your comments therefore still apply.
>
> Well, unless by periodic manual scans you mean you have someone
> sitting at every server 24/7 manually scanning, you must have missed
> the point. .doc viruses are trivial to create and defend, but
> infrastructure attacks are not, and are much more dangerous. Anything
> less than continuous monitoring inevitably leads to downtime. And
> there is still a problem even with companies dedicated to watching
> such attacks propagate and stopping them. Unix is certainly not
> immune to such things, but there are large economic, social and
> political incentives to go after Windows servers, ie, spammers
> harvesting, criminals blackmailing, and who knows what political
> motivations. And some of the worst attacks have been kids trying to
> implement the long-discredited notion of a "good virus" that removes
> the "bad virus."
>
> Sit down with a network admin sometime and count the knocks on your
> door.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/%7Ertm/papers/117.pdf

Although.... there's two typical virus patterns - 1 comes in on email, 1 attacks an open port.

Oracle servers shouldn't be checking email, and open ports...well, what were you thinking having open ports :-)

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"