Re: Interesting Oracle Data Load Scenario

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 13:30:21 GMT

"Matt" <mccmx_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cfee5bcf.0405210036.5b3579bc_at_posting.google.com...
> > Then why not use priority scheduling or resource scheduling in Oracle?
You
> > could have the data load log in as a specific user and give them a much
> > lower priority. (eg not to exceed 20% CPU) Then the load "user" would
get
> > no more than 20% of the CPU if all the CPU was being used. If no one
was on
> > the system then it would get all of it until somone else needed some.
> > Jim
>
> Sounds like a good idea... I already have a logon trigger defined for
> ADHOC query users which places them into a lower priority resource
> consumer group. I could extend this to the data load process too.
>
> However as I said in my previous post, the performance is not my main
> concern. Its the fault tolerance of the load. I want to avoid
> restoring production in the event of a data load failure.
>
> Matt

Even simpler.
commit;
do all data load stuff
if it works then
commit;

else
rollback;

If the system goes down in the middle of the load then when it comes back up it will rollback the changes. This is exactly what Oracle is good at and you don't need to make things complicated. Jim Received on Fri May 21 2004 - 08:30:21 CDT