recovery with until cancel and without

From: yls177 <yls177_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 20 May 2004 22:28:31 -0700

from my understanding after reading the posts, i realized that with until cancel, oracle will recover till the databae crash or have some problems. after this, u can alter database open resetlogs for oracle to start fine but then u will lose some data, right?

and if u dont use until cancel, oracel will automatically recover by itself.

but then i still dont think that it makes a difference, only that with until cancel, oracle will stop recovering till the time which it crashed.

also, i have searched google and from below

quote:

the "UNTIL CANCEL" clause specifies that you're performing an incomplete
recovery. If you omit it then Oracle assumes that you want to perform a
complete recovery.

If you specify a BACKUP CONTROLFILE then Oracle uses the file headers rather
than control file information to control the restore. For the record, if you
cancel it as you did in scenario 2 (where it failed) you can usually rerun
"recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;", enter
"cancel"

immediately and then "alter database open resetlogs". This should open the
database properly.

I have to admit that I don't know what difference these clauses make at the
instance/control file level which is why I didn't reply at first. I could speculate that using a backup controlfile forces Oracle to search
the file headers for the highest SCN and uses that as it's target SCN for
the restore. I could further theorise that "UNTIL CANCEL" overrides this
behaviour and lets you terminate the restore at any point without regard to
the SCNs stored in the datafile headers. Mind you without going and playing with a recovery this is all conjecture.
If anyone can authoritatively confirm or deny this I'd appreciate it as it
doesn't seem to be documented anywhere. Received on Fri May 21 2004 - 00:28:31 CDT