Re: RAC on Linux raw - how to share raw disks

From: Jeffrey Hunter <jhunter_at_iDevelopment.info>
Date: 20 May 2004 06:33:08 -0700

janik_at_pobox.sk (Jan) wrote in message news:<81511301.0405192240.6d06d315_at_posting.google.com>...
> Thanks, your link is interesting. On your page, on caption:
> "Creating Partitions on the Shared FireWire Storage Device"
>
> you are saying that:
>
> "Only perform the following procedures for the shared storage on one
> RAC node!!"
>
> That is clear, I have data files on one disk on computer - "Node1".
> Then - Node1 will access raw devicess on Node1.
>
> Later, in the caption:
> "Create RAW Bindings"
>
> you have coments:
> "Perform the following procedures on both nodes in the cluster!"
>
> /usr/bin/raw /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/pv1/lvol1
>
> And that is the part where I could not continue - that was my
> question:
>
> If I do the previuous procedures on "Node2", how that will know that
> e.g. "/dev/pv1/lvol1" has to point to the devices on "Node1" and not
> "Node2"?
>
> Jan

Hello Jan,

The configuration I documented in my article is a two node cluster (each running Red Hat Fedora Core 1). Although they both have direct attached storage (internal disks), the database files are stored on an external fire wire drive - both nodes are connected to the fire wire drive and both machines therefore have access to this disk (with a few kernel tweaks).

In your case, you have a raw partition configured on an internal drive in node1. How is node2 going to see the database files and bind to them? If this is the question, then I have no idea how you would accomplish that. Cannot NFS - there is no file system. You will need an external disk that both nodes can have access to. I can see no way that node2 could access the raw partitions attached to node1. Not saying that it cannot be done, it's just that nothing comes to mind on how you would perform that.

Regards,
Jeff Received on Thu May 20 2004 - 08:33:08 CDT