Re: Intermedia Text - Performance degradation over time

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 13:56:26 +0200

G Dahler wrote:

> "Jeremy" <newspostings_at_hazelweb.co.uk> a écrit dans le message de
>

>>Per HJR's request, starting a new thread on this.
>>
>>Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.6
>>
>>We run ctxsrv in the background to automatically update the IM text
>>indexes as documents are added/updated/removed. Rebuild perhaps every
>>couple of weeks during which time perhaps 400 reords might have been
>>inserted/updated.
>>

> Oracle warns (in 817 at least) that the ctxsrv background process is to be
> discontinued in the future. Instead, you should use the ctx_schedule package
> (available on metalink) and schedule your rebuilds via dbms_jobs.
>
> ctxsrv has a tendency to fragment intermedia indexes.
>
> Intermedia text is not made to index data "on the fly". Your application
> users should not expect to insert or update data and "see" the news changes
> immediately. Intermedia text is mostly targeted for "offline" document
> searching.
>
> We have applications here that updates the indexes every hour, every day,
> and one application even updates it every 10 minutes.

Well Thomas Kyte is still using it quite happily for asktom.oracle.com. (http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:14791286290198708404::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:238814521769,) Well, maybe no anymore - the thread was started 4 years ago... Incidentally, there's a paper out on otn.oracle.com: "Oracle Text best practices" or similar, that states a reorg job with a time-out of 50 minutes, starting every hour would do nicely, and a full optimization every 24 hours or so. Using the ctx packages - not ctxsrv as external process.
FWIIW, I'd be quite happy to use ctxsrv - if it's good enough for Tom, it's good enough for me.
If you want you documents to be indexed 'near real time', or have a business need in that direction, I'd go for ctxsrv as process. If not - use a job and the packaged ctx procedures.

The need for "optimization" stays - read the thread why

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel