Re: Interesting Oracle Data Load Scenario

From: Matt <mccmx_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 20 May 2004 00:31:28 -0700

> So while this is happening you cann't access the primary database. Also you
> can't make any changes in the primary database while it was copied over to
> the secondary for the data load. (otherwise you loose the data when you
> restore the database 2ndary to primary)

You are correct, during the copy of the secondary over the primary we would have Production shut down (probably 30-40 minutes). Also the initial build of the secondary would require some downtime...

> > Matt
>
> You would be much better served RAC'ing the instance and not having 2
> databases or buying sufficient hardware and spending time tuning the
> application and data loads. My guess is if you use bind variables, and tune
> the application you should be able to do both things at the same time. (The
> administration and complexity of what you are trying to do is insane and
> costly)

I understand exactly where you are coming from and I totally agree, however the performance overhead of the data load is the lower priority of the 2 issues...

Our main concern is that if the data load fails, we don't want to have to do a P.I.T recovery of the prodcution system. My preference would be to load the data into temporary staging tables (in the Production database) that were exact copies of the main destination tables... then once the data has been verified and tested, merge the 2 tables together with SQL.

Matt Received on Thu May 20 2004 - 02:31:28 CDT