Re: changing initial extent size with hash partitioned index

From: <samuels_at_blue.seas.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 23:29:29 +0000 (UTC)

there's no need to be rude.
version is 8.1.7.4.0, platform is aix5.1

my question has more to do with the fact that when rebuilding a non-partitioned or range partitioned index, an initial extent size is allowed, and with a hash partitioned index it is not (apparently).

if you can't post a well-mannered constructive follow-up, then you shouldn't at all. -maurice
samuels_at_seas.upenn.edu

Howard J. Rogers (hjr_at_dizwell.com) wrote:
: samuels_at_red.seas.upenn.edu wrote:
: > hi,
: > i'm hoping someone can help me with this one.
: > i have a hash partitioned index that i create with:
: > create unique index uniq_order_num on order_num (customer_id)
: > storage (initial 20m) pctfree 0
: > local
: > (partition h_order_1 tablespace index0,
: > partition h_order_2 tablespace index0)
: > /
: >
: >
: >
: > the underlying table is a hash partitioned table.
: > my problem is, how do i change the initial extent size of the uniq_order_num index?
: > do i have to drop completely and recreate?
: > i've tried doing a rebuild (thinking that oracle would use the initial extent size default
: > of the tablespace), but no luck here.
: > thanks in advance.
: > -maurice
: > samuels_at_seas.upenn.edu

: No version or platform, I see.

: Why would you even *want* to alter a segment's initial extent? That's
: the first question.

: The second question is, why are you mucking around with extent sizes
: when locally managed tablespace has made this sort of exercise a
: complete waste of time and effort?

: But if there are no intelligent answers on those two, and you really,
: really insist on doing it, then yes, a drop and re-create is your only
: real option.

: Had you mentioned you mentioned definitely that you were running 8i or
: above, I would perhaps have suggested an alter index X rebuild
: tablespace Y. That effectively is a 'move index' command. If you move
: something into a locally managed tablespace with particular uniform size
: settings, then the tablespace settings take precedence to some extent
: over the segment's settings.

: In your case, your index is created with a 20M initial extent. If you
: were to 'move' that to an LMT with Uniform Size 60M, you would get a 60M
: initial extent. (On the other hand, if you were to move it to an LMT
: offering 1M extents, you would have been allocated 20 separate 1M extents).

: Drop and re-create is clean and you know what you're getting. It's also
: bloody expensive, of course, and a complete waste of time if all you're
: going to do is re-create it with a 30M initial extent instead of its
: current 20M.

: Regards
: HJR