Re: Oracle and Arcserve

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 19 May 2004 15:36:32 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<40ab5429$0$31680$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Bear in mind, Norton Autoprotect is really designed to run on desktop
> PCs where users are forever receiving email and loading documents and
> executables from unknown sources. In that 'constant use' situation, a
> 'constant protection agent' is a good idea. But a server is not, one
> hopes, receiving and opening email attachments all the time, or forever
> having new software from dubious sources installed on it. It probably
> lives behind a firewall, too. Of course, a periodic -but manual- running
> of an antivirus scanning program might not be a bad idea in a
> maintenance moment if you have one. But continual monitoring is not a
> good idea for a production system, I think.

Have to totally disagree. I saw new server with no AV, no mail, behind firewall with up-to-date virus protection, get hit within one day by WelchiaB. Remember, companies with distributed networks and people syncronizing mail with the outside world have plenty of holes, and modern worms have some pretty sophisticated engineering. http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.welchia.worm.html

Oh, after deinfecting and installing up-to-date virus protection, WelchiaB came back. It seems to do that commonly, but at least the AV catches it.

It was difficult to distinguish what was wrong with the server _next_ to it, until its new hard drive actually failed. And people wonder why I diss the Wintel juggernaut.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  "Please review the trace files and you will see
the VERY VERY BAD SQL statements issued by the Portal, they are long,