Re: Intermedia Text - Performance degradation over time

From: G Dahler <yellow-shark_at_spamex.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 15:32:58 -0400

"Jeremy" <newspostings_at_hazelweb.co.uk> a écrit dans le message de news:MPG.1b152dc4dd1b4c85989bfa_at_news.individual.net...
> Per HJR's request, starting a new thread on this.
>
> Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.6
>
> We run ctxsrv in the background to automatically update the IM text
> indexes as documents are added/updated/removed. Rebuild perhaps every
> couple of weeks during which time perhaps 400 reords might have been
> inserted/updated.

Oracle warns (in 817 at least) that the ctxsrv background process is to be discontinued in the future. Instead, you should use the ctx_schedule package (available on metalink) and schedule your rebuilds via dbms_jobs.

ctxsrv has a tendency to fragment intermedia indexes.

Intermedia text is not made to index data "on the fly".  Your application
users should not expect to insert or update data and "see" the news changes
immediately.  Intermedia text is mostly targeted for "offline" document
searching.

We have applications here that updates the indexes every hour, every day, and one application even updates it every 10 minutes. Received on Wed May 19 2004 - 14:32:58 CDT