Re: tnsnames.ora posted to web page(use TNS_ADMIN?)

From: Jeffrey Hunter <jhunter_at_iDevelopment.info>
Date: 19 May 2004 11:42:57 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<40aab290$0$3033$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Chuck B wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > My new company posts their common tnsnames.ora file to a web page on
> > the intranet that everyone has access to. The idea is that when they
> > update it, you just go get the copy and overwrite your local tns file.
> > What I would like to do is to set the registry entry(TNS_ADMIN) to
> > point to that web page if possible. I know how to tweak the entry to
> > point it to a non-standard location and I can accomplish this fine.
> > However, I don't think it's possible to have the registry entry
> > resolve an http address. Nothing I'm trying is working.
> >
> > Has anyone tried this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chuck
>

> A rather "unusual" request, Chuck. What's the real issue here: you want
> to be able to modify a centrally-stored tnsnames.ora file, and have uses
> automatically pick the new version up without users having to manually
> click anything.
>
> Right?
>
> Well, a couple of things spring to mind if that's the case. First off,
> Oracle has a whole raft of solutions for such centralised management.
> Things like Names Server, or the more-complex-but-with-a-future Oracle
> Internet Directory.
>
> But if you're trying to do centralised tnsnames administration on the
> cheap, then just stick the tnsnames.ora on a file server to which all
> clients have access and set each client's TNS_ADMIN variable to that
> location.
>
> For example, from my laptop, I can do this using a local tnsnames:
>
> H:\>sqlplus "/@win92 as sysdba"
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Wed May 19 10:51:39 2004
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> Connected to:
> Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production
> With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options
> JServer Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production
>
> But if I do this:
>
> H:\>copy C:\oracle92\network\admin\tnsnames.ora \\mozart\files
> 1 file(s) copied.
>
> And this:
>
> H:\>copy C:\oracle92\network\admin\sqlnet.ora \\mozart\files
> 1 file(s) copied.
>
> Followed by (just so I know the local files really aren't still working
> in the background):
>
> H:\>rename c:\oracle92\network\admin\tnsnames.ora tnsnames.old
> H:\>rename c:\oracle92\network\admin\sqlnet.ora sqlnet.old
>
> Then I can do this:
>
> H:\>set TNS_ADMIN=\\mozart\files
>
> H:\>sqlplus "/@win92 as sysdba"
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Wed May 19 10:56:52 2004
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> Connected to:
> Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production
> With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options
> JServer Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production

> [...]
Chuck,

Like the other responders on this thread have said, the centralized copy of the tnsnames.ora file is the easiest way to go. This should probably be your first approach. If you are willing to invest some time into other more robust technologies like LDAP (Oracle Internet Directory), I put out a short article on how to do that:

http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Oracle/DBA_tips/LDAP_OID_9.2.0/LDAP_8.shtml

Good luck,
Jeff Received on Wed May 19 2004 - 13:42:57 CDT