Re: Oracle and Arcserve

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 19:44:58 +0200

On 19 May 2004 04:33:42 -0700, chuaby_at_hotmail.com (chuaby) wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have been using an Oracle for quite some time but have not maintain
>it before until now. My application vendor is not too familiar with
>Norton Anti-virus and BrightStor ARCserve Backup Release 11 for
>Windows, Agent for Oracle.
>
>All i know was I'm being told to be careful when the database is
>running with these 2 applications. May i know what are the things i
>should not do with these applications ?
>
>i mean, eg,
>
>1) to backup database files, can the files be opened since i have the
>"Agent for Oracle? Can i recover if index and data are active during
>the backup session?
>

>2) can the realtime Anti-virus be running as well ?
>
>For some advice please.
>Thank you
>Boon Yiang

Arcserve is a pain in the butt. If you want to use the GUI you will be forced to use the Oracle 7 Agent and perform a conventional hot backup.
Arcserve does support RMAN: ie you can the Arcserve tape driver from RMAN. Arcserve doesn't integrate RMAN into the GUI, and if you choose to use RMAN you need to run it from a Windoze task scheduler. And they change the name of this product every few months, and I should better remain silent about the CA support website. It is a nightmare. PERIOD.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA