Re: Oracle GUI admin tool?

From: David E. Grove <david_grove_at_correct.state.ak.us>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 08:57:45 -0800

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1084944820.601400_at_yasure...
> David E. Grove wrote:
>
> > Folks,
> >
> > Our shop is about to adopt Oracle for a new project. We would be coming
> > from an Informix environment. I will be the DBA, and have just started
down
> > the path of learning the Oracle world.
> >
> > Does Oracle have, either natively, or from a third party, a GUI sysadmin
> > tool. If anyone here is familiar with the Informix world, I have in
mind
> > something comparable to "Server Studio".
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > DG
>
> This may help a bit:
> http://www.psoug.org/reference/informix.html
>
> It is hardly complete but is part of my note-taking process.
>
> I would urge you to purchase a copy of Tom Kyte's book "Expert
> one-on-one Oracle". Be sure to read the first three chapters with
> great care. Every time Tom writes about SQL Server ... think Informix.
>
> You will find there are huge differences in the underlying architecture.

STARTING TO SEE THIS, ALREADY.
> The surface stuff will be things like how triggers are written,
> sequences, etc. But the multiversioning,

I AM TRYING TO COME TO GRIPS WITH THIS. I HAVE THIS HANDICAP THAT I THINK THAT AT ANY PARTICULAR TIME, THE AIRPLANE SEAT IS EITHER SOLD OR IT ISN'T, AND THAT IF I AM TOLD THAT IT IS AVAILABLE WHEN IT REALLY ISN"T (AND THAT INFORMATION IS ALREADY KNOWN BY THE DATABASE), WELL THEN I COULD EXPERIENCE DIFFICULTY. SINCE TUPLES REPRESENT LOGICAL STATEMENTS, IT'S QUITE A STRETCH FOR ME TO ADAPT TO AN ENVIRONMENT IN WHICH THE SAME LOGICAL STATEMENT MAY BE, SIMULTANEOUSLY, BOTH TRUE AND FALSE, DEPENDING ON THE USER AND THE TIME HISTORY OF THE FORMULATION OF THE QUERY. SO, I DO HAVE A JOURNEY IN FRONT OF ME. I AM TRYING, AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, TO PUT ASIDE ANY PREVIOUS BAGGAGE, AND LOOK AT IT AS A START OF A NEW ADVENTURE, WITH ITS OWN ENVIRONMENT AND RULES.  the security model, and the
> fact that reads don't block writes and writes don't block reads are
> things you need to really understand.
>
> Best wishes ... and if you would like to referral to someone who has
> been down the same path and is an expert in both environments ...
> contact me off-line and I will pass along the name and contact info.

THANK YOU. I HAVE SPOKEN TO MY BOSS ABOUT THIS. I HAVE NOT HAD MUCH SUCCESS, YET.