Interesting Oracle Data Load Scenario

From: Matt <mccmx_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 May 2004 08:13:21 -0700

Hello all,

I have a requirement for building an environment which will allow me to maintain 2 synchronised copies of our production database. This is not for High Availability purposes or Reporting purposes but for segregating online users from data loading users.

Here is the scenario:

The online users will update the primary copy of the database and these changes will be copied to the second database (doesn't have to be realtime). A data conversion process will be loading a large amount of data into the secondary database at the same time.

At the end of the loading process, the secondary database (which will be a consolidated copy of the 2 sets of changes) will be copied over the primary database. The reason for this is twofold....

  1. We want to minimise the performance overhead of the data load process on the main/primary database.
  2. If there is a failure/problem with the data load we want to avoid a point in time recovery on the primary database. Instead we can rebuild the secondary database from the primary and restart the database conversion procedure.

Physical Standby is not an option since the standy DB can't be updated. Advanced replication is a candidate but we don't have any primary key constraints at the back end (Ref integrity is driven by the application).

Can Logical Standby be used for this purpose.....?

Thanks in advance..

Matt Received on Wed May 19 2004 - 10:13:21 CDT