Re: tnsnames.ora posted to web page(use TNS_ADMIN?)

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 08:02:20 -0500

On 18 May 2004 11:13:04 -0700, chuck_jen49_at_yahoo.com (Chuck B) wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>My new company posts their common tnsnames.ora file to a web page on
>the intranet that everyone has access to. The idea is that when they
>update it, you just go get the copy and overwrite your local tns file.
> What I would like to do is to set the registry entry(TNS_ADMIN) to
>point to that web page if possible. I know how to tweak the entry to
>point it to a non-standard location and I can accomplish this fine.
>However, I don't think it's possible to have the registry entry
>resolve an http address. Nothing I'm trying is working.
>
>Has anyone tried this?
>
>Thanks,
>Chuck

So, it you want to use tns_admin to point directly to the tnsnames, why do you feel that you have to still keep it on a web page? Just stick in in a protected directory on a file server. We've been doing this successfully for years, but are advised by some that Oracle does not support it. (I have not seen any official Oracle doc to back that up.)

On another thought, how secure is your web page? You want the whole world to have access to your tnsnames? There are any number of people here who could, if they were of such a mind to do so, thoroughly trash your db if they could see your tnsnames file. I hope your new company isn't bidding on a contract with the Dept. of Defense. Received on Wed May 19 2004 - 08:02:20 CDT